Thursday, November 04, 2004

Coping with illness

It's been a week and a half and I'm still sick. Still. Even more encouraging is the fact that my doctor at the health center here doesn't know what's wrong with me. Strep tests have come back negative, twice, and I was tested for mono again and that, at least, is also negative. But seriously, who do you have to sleep with to make all this crap stop?! But today one of my friends did one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me: she knows I've been battling this sore throat and she came to class today with a thermal mug full of hot water, lemon, and honey. (For me, that is.) I have no words; it was so unexpected and thoughtful of her. If she didn't have the "best group member" tiara before now (and yes, there is one), she definitely clinched it with that.

Other things that improved my outlook: the season premiere of The O.C. was on tonight. There's a show that, while shallow and arguably consisting of nothing more than drama and pretty people, never fails to give me the warm fuzzies. I mean, Ryan and Seth came back, and it was--it was so... *ahem* excuse me a moment.

And finally, the thing that gave me the energy to even post this: my vacation is now officially booked. I can see my itinerary on virtuallythere.com. There I am flying to Hong Kong! And then to Bangkok (after only 24 hours in Hong Kong, but hey, it's an island, I think I can cover it)! And then Bali and Perth and Christchurch and finishing up with five days in Tahiti! Can I afford it? Probably not. But that's what makes for interesting stories later on, right? As long as I've got transport from one place to another paid for and know I can get home (and believe me, I'm blowing my money on all that stuff first), that's all I really care about. Whatever accommodation and food I end up scrounging up aren't really a matter of great importance to me (though I am kind of freaked out about Bali now after reading that "some establishments are upgrading to toilets where one can sit down"--I so have nightmares about having nothing but Turkish toilets available--and that it's recommended that one always carry a roll of toilet paper with you because of the unlikelihood of having it available there, so when necessary, wipe with your left hand only, then use the dipping bucket on the way out... dear God, my hygiene neuroses are really going to take a beating). But enough of that. I'll be adding two continents and six countries to my travel experience, and I'm giddy just thinking about it.

My sore throat better have cleared up before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whole27: Seven (Eight?) Months Later

Breakfast this morning was cinnamon rolls. In fairness, I'm sick right now with something resembling that monster flu--hopefully it...