Sunday, May 02, 2004

Kill Bill Vol. 2

I was inspired by Becky to write a film review, as I too partook of the cinema this evening. Clearly, while I was there, I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2, cuz otherwise the title of this post wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Now I saw the 9 o'clock show and despite being only half a movie, it was still damn long, so this'll be short cuz I want to go to bed.

I highly recommend seeing this movie, and no you don't have to have seen Vol. 1 to appreciate it. The plot twists from the first are pretty well explained or don't really matter, and it's easy to enjoy the movie despite not having seen the first one because all of it takes place in a completely different setting. Plus, since it's a Tarantino film, everything's always out of order anyway (I think his position on that is, deal with it). Of course, I say all this and I did see the first one, so I could be talking out of my ass.

I don't want to give away any of the plot, because I hate people that do that (Vol. 1 was ruined for me because I read about it in a review for Vol. 2), so I just want to say that the juxtaposition of dialogue and tone with the gruesome violence that takes place is actually really enjoyable. And the violence is gruesome. Really gruesome. And sudden and shocking. I didn't get the full effect of Vol. 1 because I watched it on my TV. I got the full effect of Vol. 2, and there are a couple of scenes burned on my brain that make my stomach turn. This movie is not for the faint of heart. But even if you are faint of heart, you should see it anyway. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

To sum up: I give it 3 and a half samurai swords (out of 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whole27: Seven (Eight?) Months Later

Breakfast this morning was cinnamon rolls. In fairness, I'm sick right now with something resembling that monster flu--hopefully it...