Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Whatev

Just thought I'd take this moment to post, seeing as how I'll be at the mercy of my printer for the next eternity anyway--I'm printing out my Navy project paper (for those of you who haven't been unfortunate enough to hear about it, my class is working on a plan for the U.S. Navy to improve their recruitment of doctors, dentists, and nurses), a healthy 46 pages in length, and needless to say grad students aren't the laserjet-owning types. It'll be an interesting exercise in patience and keeping my frustration under wraps, as I have to rush this stuff to Kinko's to get bound tonight, and in a burg like Evanston, nothing is open later than 10 p.m. (seriously, there's a college here, just adapt already).

Of course, given that every waking minute since my last post (and that's a lot of waking minutes, by the way--I can't remember the last time I got more than 6 hours of sleep) has been devoted to this project, I don't have a whole helluva lot to say. Given my current frustration, I'm not in the same fabulous mood I was in yesterday (which I miss...I was seriously beginning to think something was wrong with me because I was in such a persistently good mood, but today has quashed those suspicions pretty definitively), so I can't go on and on about how happy I am. But I suppose talking about oneself is never all that hard, as we've just now established.

So lessee, what's going on in the world today... there were some elections and stuff, but Kerry's pretty much clinched it, so there's no real point in paying attention anymore (not that I ever did, I have fellow bloggers Chris and Brendan to take care of that).

Today's WSJ question of the day is "Would you pay a small fee to send each email as a way to eliminate spam?" The answer, of course, is a resounding 'no' from 78% of those who have replied, which is especially telling given that a decent portion of those people probably did pay a subscription fee in order to access the WSJ online. Email is universally considered to be free to all, and no one wants to pay on a per message basis. Plus, I'd have my doubts about the effectiveness of the spam blocker even if I paid; I mean, it's not like people aren't trying to block it as it is! 100% fool-proof spam protection will likely get into some invasion of privacy issues; I'd rather just hit the 'delete' button a couple times a day.

There's also a hilarious article that starts off with a great (and telling) first line: "Parents have a new ally in their quest for grandchildren: online dating sites." It gets interesting from there, with success stories mingled with parents that set up profiles and email people without the knowledge of their children. Here's the link, and I've come to the conclusion that everyone I know should just subscribe to the WSJ already.

Ok, am now too tired to write anymore (can't wait until the day 2 weeks from now when it'll be alcohol that's sapped my energy rather than group projects!)--on a positive note, though, the new Onion is up. Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whole27: Seven (Eight?) Months Later

Breakfast this morning was cinnamon rolls. In fairness, I'm sick right now with something resembling that monster flu--hopefully it...