Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Whole30: Day 10

Posting a day late: spent all day working at home, interspersed with doing ALL the dishes and making our kitchen look habitable again. I got up and took a shower and put on makeup and looked all nice and then... it was noon and I was still at home, and decided it didn't make sense to add an hour and a half of driving to my day just to go to the office and stare at my computer the same as I was doing at my kitchen table. Sitting on the kitchen chair all day may not have been a good call, though: I have a sore muscle in my back today. Oh my god I'm old this is bullshit.

How I felt: Alright, I guess. It was hard to get up though: hit snooze for over an hour. And I was super grouchy for most of the day. And dying for a cinnamon roll in the morning for some reason, which was really mean of my brain.

Breakfast: Big bowl of those amazing Camarosa strawberries and a spinach and onion omelette that I tried to pack as much spinach into as possible. I took a picture of the cross section just to show that: this not far off from being a spinach pancake with a bit of fluffy egg.


Lunch: Since I was at home, I raided the fridge and cooked a bit of chicken breast that went unused when we made curry a couple nights ago, using a recipe that I'm pretty sure I made up way back when: brush the chicken with dijon mustard and sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried thyme, then cook in olive oil (and preferably butter as well, though not today) and drizzle in some lemon juice to get that nice lemon flavor and to caramelize a bit. Sometimes that part works and sometimes it doesn't--yesterday, it didn't--but the chicken is still pretty good, and I scraped all the remaining thyme bits along with lemon juice and olive oil into the salad dressing I was using, the last leftover bit from salmon a week ago, which was just olive oil, lemon juice, chopped shallot, mustard, and a bit of mayo (it was kept refrigerated... mostly), all tossed with some arugula and sliced fennel. The whole meal was inspired by this recipe from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook, and while I very much missed that fried chicken, it was a tasty lunch, overall.



Snack: My grouchy self could not make it until dinner: I tore into the roasted pumpkin seeds (I really love those, but need to be careful not to eat too much when snacking on them because they're super dense: 100 calories a handful, basically) and then into some dried apple slices and THEN into what I now consider to be a marvel of the modern world, freeze dried pineapple. It's sweet, it's crunchy, it's 120 calories for an entire bag. (I did not actually eat the entire bag, only because I knew then there wouldn't be any more unless I went all the way to Whole Foods.) It's amazing.

Dinner: Our second curry: this time, inspired by the latest Buzzfeed Whole30 listicle, we tried this recipe for coconut curry meatballs (red curry this time, and a sauce rather than what became a soup), but subbed in this recipe for chicken zucchini poppers (...which is just meatballs), though using turkey instead of chicken, and served them over cauliflower "rice", which we initially viewed with some skepticism, but the Buzzfeed person seemed kind of into it, and it would be a good vehicle for capturing all that curry sauce, and the food processor is already out anyway, so what the hey.

It was really good. Austin is out tonight, and made me promise I wouldn't eat the leftovers without him. He's also a bit put out that we've never made curry before this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whole27: Seven (Eight?) Months Later

Breakfast this morning was cinnamon rolls. In fairness, I'm sick right now with something resembling that monster flu--hopefully it...