Sunday, May 21, 2017

Whole30: Day 23

Yesterday was a day for going out. Today was for cleaning up the house. (No cleaning got done yesterday.) Dishes were washed, counters and tables were cleaned, trash was taken out, errands were run. We have curtains from our last apartment that, a year and a half after we've moved back into this apartment, I've decided we should hang up in the living room, so we need a curtain rod. We've run out of salt and pepper (we've been cooking a LOT) and needed more for our mills. Might as well just get a new pepper mill, come to that: we registered for one, and never got it, so let's stop by Sur la Table and put the gift cards we DID get to good use. I need to be up there anyway to stop by the Apple Store to get my watch looked at. I'd been planning on biking up there, but now that I'm sunburned, I'm a good deal less interested in spending a lot of time outside in the sunshine, so Austin dropped me off in downtown Santa Monica and then drove to Bed Bath and Beyond to get us a curtain rod.

It's a good thing we headed up to Santa Monica early, before my Apple Store appointment, so there was a limit on how much time I could spend in Sur la Table. The salt, pepper, and pepper mill I picked up right away, but then I also needed a roasting dish. And a new garlic press: there's one there that I've had my eye on for two years. And they don't have the roasting dish I want but maybe this pretty red one will work: it's really for lasagna anyway, and this says it's a lasagna pan so perfect, right? Hmmm, and look at all these other neat things. You know what, I HAVE been wanting a new spatula that doesn't have holes in it, and this nylon option looks like a good one, because that's one more thing that'll work with our nonstick pans. And... oh shit, I'd better check out, I need to be at Apple in... now.

How I felt: Mostly ok. Woke up earlier than I wanted to (someone coughed in my face at 8 am but had the nerve to remain unconscious), but was fine for most of the day. Hit a low point around 4:30 or so and just felt really tired and down for a bit, but perked up after a walk (in the shade) at 6.

Breakfast: We were out of eggs, so I had strawberries, sliced avocado, and probably more bacon than I should have but... oh it was SO good. Perfect crispy bacon. I am always buying this Whole30 bacon, I feel like I've never been able to get it to be crispy like this before.




Lunch: Was starving, so ate the quickest thing resembling a lunch possible: tuna salad, and an actual salad with just arugula and dressing. I had a handful of olives, too, since I discovered them in the fridge when I was looking in there for ideas.

Dinner: Dinner was SUCH a treat. I remembered another great French salad that's completely fine on Whole30 (salade nicoise was the first): salade lyonnaise. If you don't know what that is, then you need to immediately figure out where you can get it or how to make it (it's not hard to make... well, not THAT hard to make)... at least if you 1. eat meat and 2. are on board with the idea of breakfast for dinner, because that's really what this is.

The last time I made this was a number of years ago: I don't think I've made it since Austin and I moved in together. And the hardest thing about it is the poached egg that goes on top. The rest is easy: you get some frisee (I picked up a head at the farmers market on Wednesday), some lardons or pancetta or just plain ol' bacon (pancetta that's both the perfect portion and already cut up in just the way I want it is available at Whole Foods), cook the lardons/pancetta/bacon, add shallots, vinegar, and mustard, and pour it all over the frisee, because that's your dressing. And then you top it with a poached egg (or two, if you're us this evening), and add the yolk to all that, and it is sooooo good.

And poaching the eggs is usually the most nerve-wracking part, but not tonight. Because, last night, my brother gave me a sous vide machine for my birthday. And what do you know, the company that makes it partnered with Serious Eats, one of the food blogs we refer to most, to develop a bunch of recipes, which are both on their website and in the app that you use to control the sous vide thingy (it's a temperature gauge and water heater and circulator, and I think 'thingy' captures that well enough), including one for poached eggs. (The entire sous vide egg post is super interesting, frankly.) Well, the guy that wrote it makes it a little more complicated: once the egg is cooked, he then ALSO drops it in simmering water (which is also what you do when you poach a raw egg, it's just more foolproof). Well, we decided we could live without the perfect poached egg exterior, so all we had to do was set up the sous vide thingy, preheat to 145, and then put the eggs in for 45 minutes. At 45 minutes, out they come, they're pretty easy to peel, and behold, we have EASY poached eggs on our salades lyonnaise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whole27: Seven (Eight?) Months Later

Breakfast this morning was cinnamon rolls. In fairness, I'm sick right now with something resembling that monster flu--hopefully it...